ICAN 6: Expanding Participation in Coastal Web Atlas Development and Use, Victoria, Canada, 16-17 June 2013
Submitted by mida on 16 June 2013 - 6:51am
The 6th International Coastal Atlas Network Workshop (ICAN 6) will be held at the University of Victoria, Canada from 16-17 June 2013, in advance of CoastGIS 2013. The theme of this year’s workshop is Expanding Participation in Coastal Web Atlas Development and Use .
Since March 2013 ICAN is an official Project of the International Oceanographic Data & Information Exchange (IODE) programme of UNESCO’s Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC). The workshop will provide an opportunity to discuss how the ICAN community will share its knowledge and aid capacity building among IOC member states in relation to coastal and marine atlases. Moreover, ICAN has seen its membership grow in the last two years and currently has extensive membership along the North and South American Pacific coasts. We look forward to hearing about atlas developments in these regions.
Key activities at the ICAN-6 workshop will include:
- exploring the opportunities for ICAN in an IODE context and how to build synergies with other IOC projects;
- discussion of coastal atlas training needs and how ICAN members can contribute;
- Atlas Stories – presentations from Atlas developers and users from North and South American Pacific coasts and beyond;
- an Atlas Showcase providing an opportunity for atlas developers to present their atlases
- a small “workshop within a workshop” for atlas technical developers on how to become a new node in the ICAN interoperability demonstrator, version 3;
- a small “workshop within a workshop” focussing on Volunteered Geographical Information (VGI) and its implications for coastal atlases;
- development of an ICAN work plan for the period 2013-2015.
This workshop follows on 2011’s successful workshop ICAN 5: Coastal Atlases as Engines for Coastal & Marine Spatial Planning, held at IODE headquarters in Oostende, Belgium, in September 2011, as well as four previous workshops held in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 in Cork, Ireland, Oregon, USA, Copenhagen, Denmark and Trieste, Italy respectively.
A range of accommodation options are available. More information at: http://coinatlantic.ca/index.php/venue/accomodations
ICAN 6 is co-organized by Ned Dwyer and Kathrin Kopke of the Coastal and Marine Research Centre, Ireland, Prof. Dawn Wright of Esri, USA, Roger Longhorn of EUCC, Belgium and Rosaline Canessa of University of Victoria. The ICAN 6 workshop is sponsored in part by ESRI, with additional support from IODE, and the University of Victoria.
Organizers and Sponsors