- Published: 09 March 2016 09 March 2016
Cape Town, South Africa, 19-20 April 2015
The 7th International Coastal Atlas Network Workshop (ICAN 7) will be held at the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)premises in Cape Town, South Africa from 19-20 April 2015, in advance of CoastGIS 2015. The theme of this year's workshop is Coastal Web Atlases - Supporting Ecosystem Based Management.
Since March 2013 ICAN is an official Project of the International Oceanographic Data & Information Exchange (IODE) programme of UNESCO’s Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC). This workshop will provide an opportunity to discuss how coastal web atlases (CWA) can assist in implementing ecosystem based management approaches. This is particularly pertinent as the African continent is surrounded by five Large Marine Ecosystems (the Agulhas and Somali Current, The Benguela Current, the Canary Current, the Mediterranean Current, the Guinea Current) all requiring sustainable management and protection. As this is the first time the workshop is being held in Africa, it is a great opportunity to hear about developments from the ODINAFRICA Coastal and Marine Atlas community.
Organizers and Sponsors
Key activities at the ICAN-7 workshop will include:
- exploring the opportunities for CWAs to address the objectives of managing and protecting LMEs;
- discussing the challenges of Atlas development and usage in the African Coastal Atlas community;
- sharing knowledge and experience on approaches to data licencing and data sharing in order to make data holdings more visible;
- a session on “interoperability for dummies” which aims to demystify coastal atlas interoperability and highlight the benefits;
- a small “workshop within a workshop” for atlas technical developers on how to become a new node in the ICAN interoperability demonstrator, using the updated cookbooks;
- a small "workshop within a workshop" on engaging your atlas user community, including a progress update on the user handbook;
- development of an ICAN work plan for the period 2015-2017.
- Face-to-face meeting of the ICAN Steering Group
This workshop follows on 2013’s successful workshop ICAN 6: Expanding Participation in Coastal Web Atlas Development and Use”, held at the University of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, as well as five previous workshops held in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 and 2011.
A range of accommodation options in the Stellenbosch area are available. More information here soon.
ICAN 7 is co-organized by Ned Dwyer Eur-Ocean, Kathrin Kopke of the Coastal and Marine Research Centre, Ireland; Lucy Scott, United Nations Development Programme- Global Environment Facility, South Africa; Louis Celliers, Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, South Africa; Marcia Berman, Virginia Institute of Marine Science, USA; Alejandro Iglesias Campos, UNESCO-IOC (Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission). The ICAN 7 workshop is sponsored in part by IODE.
Information on reaching Stellenbosch and the venue will be posted here soon
Organizers and Sponsors